The sunsets in Iceland can be exceptionally beautiful, but nothing compares to the midnight sunset at the Grótta Lighthouse, with amazing panorama view over Faxaflói bay. On a clear sky evening the view reaches all the way from Snæfellsnes peninsula to the mountain range of Akrafjall, Skarðsheiði and Mt. Esja. Being able to explore this area on a stand up paddleboard, makes the experience something you’ll never forget.
Gótta Lighthouse is located at the very edge of Reykjavik Peninsula, only a 10-minute drive from the city center, – which makes it the perfect tour to add to your plans in Reykjavik. The parking lot near the lighthouse can get quite crowded on those fine summer nights, with both locals and travelers enjoying the sunset or strolling along the coast. A small hot water Jacuzzi built from rocks is located by the ocean and we always try to dip in after paddling!
The entry out to the ocean is a sandy beach which makes it extremely easy for beginners to join this tour.
Price & availability
Price: 16.900 kr ISK
- Transportation – pick up & drop off
- Professional SUP guide
- SUP Introduction and training
- Red Paddle Co inflatable SUP board, paddles and all necessary safety gear
- Wetsuit or a drysuit depending on your preference
- Shoes and gloves
Location: Reykjavík City – 10 minutes from the center
Duration: 2 – 3 hours
- Be comfortable in water and be able to swim
- Be physically fit
- Be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- Be at minimum 145cm (4’9) tall / maximum 200cm (6’7) tall
- Be at minimum 45kg (99 lbs) / maximum 120kg (264 lbs)
- Be minimum 16 years of age
- Not be pregnant
Minimum participants: 2
Maximum participants: 8
What to bring
We will provide you with all necessary gear required for the SUP tour. You will however have to bring:
- Swimwear if you choose to wear a wetsuit
- Clothes suited to dress under a drysuit if you choose drysuit
- Warm clothes to wear prior and after the SUP tour
- Lunch or Snack
- You can rent a GoPro camera from us
- Make sure that any electronic or valued items you bring with you are waterproof or in a waterproof case.
Booking terms – weather and sea conditions
Please note that SUP tours are highly dependent on weather and sea conditions. For your safety and comfort, we reserve the right to change or cancel departures – even with very short notice – should weather or other conditions change. In case of cancellations due to weather, customers shall receive a full refund or are able to reschedule the tour, depending on availability.