Diving in Iceland may sound like a daring idea but as soon as you dive into the pristine glacial waters of Silfra, your mind shifts away from the cold as you are immediately absorbed into exploring the vivid colours of this stunning, exotic underwater fissure.
Silfra is situated in Thingvellir National Park, where the earth drifts apart around 2 centimetres every year as the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates move in opposite directions – creating such natural wonders as is Silfra.
Clearest waters in the world
Glaciers melt and fill this deep crack with the clearest water that has been filtered for a century through volcanic lava rock before entering Silfra from the ground up. With an incredible visibility of more than 100 meters, Silfra is ranked as one of the clearest waters in the world.
However, one of the clearest water in the world comes with a price, as the temperature lingers around 2-4 degrees Celsius all year round (35 degree Fahrenheit).
Note: If someone in your group is not a certified diver it is possible for them to go snorkeling whilst you´re diving.
Price & availability
From 33.990 ISK
40.990 ISK with transport from Reykjavík
All diving equipment
National park fee
English speaking diving guide
From 1. May – 30. Sept: 8:30
(Pick up is between 7:15-7:45)
Please note that this is the meeting time at Thingvellir, Silfra car park – Pick up from your hotel starts 75 minutes earlier.
If you do not require pick up, the meeting point is Silfra car park in Thingvellir National Park. Please park your car at “Thingvellir P5” and walk 400m back along the road until you reach a smaller car park with all the snorkel and dive vans, and look for your Adventure Vikings guide. Please be there, ready to meet your guide 5-10 minutes before your tour is due to begin.
NB: Please stick to main roads and don´t take any short cuts to Silfra Fissure, especially in winter time.
For GPS: 64°15’23.5″N 21°6’58.6″W
5 – 5.5 hours with pick up
3 – 4 hours without pick up
- Drysuit certification or logbook with 10 logged drysuit dives in the last two years is required. All dives are performed in a dry suit.
- Divers have to supply their sizes of suit upon booking, to ensure we bring the right equipment for you. You must have dived in a dry suit within the last 2 years before diving Silfra.
- Be comfortable in water and be able to swim.
- Be physically fit; you need to be able to walk about 400 meters with full dry suit equipment on.
- Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Silfra Diving Medical Statement
- Sign our liability release form at the start of the tour
- Be at minimum 145cm (4’9) tall / maximum 200cm (6’7) tall
- Be at minimum 45kg (99 lbs) / maximum 120kg (264 lbs)
- Be minimum 18 years of age
- Not be pregnant
- Remember you must wait a minimum of 12 hours before flying after you have finished your dive
- Not wear glasses, so if you have a prescription mask, please bring it with you. If not, we advise you to get contact lenses before you join us for snorkeling.
- You must be able to walk 150 metres to the entry point from where you prepare your equipment.
- After the dive you must be able to walk approximately 400 metres back to the changing area while wearing all equipment.
You cannot dive in Silfra if you have had or have any of the follow conditions:
- Current or previous heart disease, heart surgery or heart attack
- Current lung disease
- Previous pneumothorax (collapsed lung), chest disease or chest surgery
- Head injury with loss of consciousness during recent years
- Thrombocytopenia or other blood disorders
- Colostomy or ileostomy
- Epilepsy or conditions resulting in sudden unconsciousness
No minimum participants
Maximum participants: 3 per guide
What to bring
We will provide you with all necessary gear required for diving. You will however have to bring:
- Change of warm clothes to wear prior and after the diving ( just in case )
- Warm long underwear ( woolen or fleece )
- Open Water & Dry suit certification or proof of 10 logged dry suit dives
- Warm woolen socks
- Lunch or Snack
- Waterproof camera
- You can rent a GoPro camera by us
GoPro – 6900 kr ISK.
Rent a GoPro and you will receive an SD card with your footage to take home straight after your tour.
For a full day experience have a look at our diving combo tours :
Silfra Diving and The Golden Circle
Silfra Diving and Lava Tunnel Caving